Built in 1766, The Old Stone House at 3051 M Street, NW in Georgetown, DC is the oldest structure in the district that is still standing on its original foundation.
“The Old Stone House, part of the Landmark District of Georgetown, is the only surviving pre-Revolutionary building in the Capital. The house stands on its original site, lot #3, one of eighty lots surveyed in the port of Georgetown in 1751.
Christopher Layman, a carpenter, is believed to have begun construction of the house in 1764. In 1776 Layman’s widow, Rachael, had the last portion of the house completed. Rear and second story additions were made by later owners. The National Park Service acquired the building during the sesquicentennial of Washington under an act of Congress approved September 25, 1950.”
For more information about the Old Stone House visit: